Friday, February 15, 2013

Outline Font For Cortical Visual Impairment

I was talking to a guy at ATIA Orlando about Cortical Visual Impairment and how I'd heard at a talk by Dr. Christine Roman that outlining words in red could help children learn to recognize words. He thought for a moment and then said "what you need is a font."

Pure genius. I wish I'd thought of that.

I took me a few hours on fontstruct.com to create this font. I started with "easycode" and called mine "easycode_outline."

It's not perfect, but it's a start.

What you need to do is install the font. Then in a word processor, type whatever you want. Then change the font to "easycode_outline" and the color to whatever you like. Poof - you have an outline!

You can download the outline font from switchamajig.com:
http://www.switchamajig.com/fonts/easycode_outline.zip

The font I started with is here:
http://www.switchamajig.com/fonts/easycode.zip

[Update 2/16/2013: I got some feedback that the 'I' should be more distinct, so I cleaned up a handful of letters. You may want to re-download.]

No comments:

Post a Comment